Hey y’all —
Happy New Year! Okay… this post is delayed. Really delayed. One thing leads to another and sometimes time just slips away. How is it already January? How is it already 2018? And, how is my Christmas/winter break already (almost) over? Time, I’m really going to need you to slow down or completely pause yourself.
With a new year comes new resolutions. I’ve come to realize that resolutions are quite useless, as I never stick with them. Last year, my main resolution was to read the Bible daily. And, well, I made it to March. And, then, life took over. So it was more or less a ‘3 month resolution.’ I decided this year to not set resolutions, because that word now leaves a bitter taste in my mouth. Instead, I decided to create a list of 8 goals for the year. Are these the same thing? Probably so.
(1) My main goal for the year is a word: JOY. I want to make it a mission this year to be more joyful. I’ll admit – I can be a “Negative Nancy.” I often see the negatives in situations, causing me to complain and be a downer. I truly believe this is Satan stealing my joy. But, not this year! I made a goal of complaining less, smiling more, and being, overall, a happier me.
(2) The second thing that I want to accomplish this year is kind of strange (and, maybe gross to some of you). I’ll admit… I struggle with brushing my teeth twice a day, flossing, and wearing my retainer. My goal this year is to brush my teeth twice a day, floss 3-4 times a week, and wear my retainer almost daily. It’s simple. Or, it should be.
(3) This year, I have a goal of spending less time on social media/my phone. Social media can be a dark hole that gives you a false sense of reality. Instagram is often a space of squares that shows, almost always, over-the-top adventures and never ending happiness. But, the reality is, that’s not the reality. I want to be better about staying off of my phone, especially when I’m with family or friends. I need to enjoy the moments outside of social media and in my daily life.
(4) Goal number three leads me to goal number four: read. Magazines, books, the Bible, the newspaper… I don’t care, I just want to read. Notice, I’m not putting a numerical value on this, because, that would be setting myself up for failure. I have a list of a lot of books I want to read in 2018, so, I better get to reading!
(5) Saying “YES” more is another goal I have this year. “Do you want to go see a movie?” – “YES!”; “Can you take out the trash?” – “YES!”; “Can you bring me lunch?” – “YES!” I feel like saying this three letter word will allow me to live in the moment more. I often say “no,” because I like to stay in my comfort zone, but, this year, I want to make a bigger effort to step outside of my box.
(6) My next goal is to learn how to cook. SOMETHING. I just want to learn how to cook at least one meal that doesn’t taste like cardboard. Is that too much to ask?!
(7) Goal #7 is to continue working out. In August, I started working out daily, and didn’t miss a day for over 100 days (and lost 15 pounds — though, your health is not measured by a scale and I firmly believe that). Then I came home for Christmas, got strep throat, got busy, etc. and didn’t work out as much as I should have. This year, once I go back to school, I want to continue working out and maintaining a healthier lifestyle. I want to get back into the routine, a schedule. When I come home for my next break, I don’t want to slack like I did during Christmas break.
(8) And, lastly, my 8th goal of the new year is to love more/be grateful. I want to be grateful for what and who I have in my life. I also want to make it a mission to be compassionate and say kind words – yes, this applies to my brother too 😉. I want to say sorry easier, forgive quicker, and never go to bed angry at someone I love.
Hopefully, by calling these “goals” for the new year, I’ll be more inclined to accomplish said goals. What are your goals or resolutions for 2018? I’d love to hear!
The year is yours. What will you do with it?
Thanks for reading!